Home » Interview

Interview

My goal for this interview was to get to know Mariano, not just in the shallow way you meet a classmate. My objective was to get to know his hopes, dreams, and motivations. I wanted to get to know him, the same way I know my friends. I wanted to present Mariano in a familiar light, where the person reading the interview would finish it feeling like they’ve known him forever. 

To begin our interview, we decided that it would be more convenient for both of us to do it over email. I sent him my questions and he sent me his responses. I wanted to establish a neutral foundation, nothing too personal just some lighthearted, “getting to know you” questions:

What is your favorite movie? Why?

Mariano: My favorite movie, or movie series, would be Ip Man 1-4. This is because, in the movie series, Ip Man is shown to be a man that uses martial arts with the intention of bringing peace into the world. He never used martial arts as a way for personal gain. 

Do you have any hobbies?/ Secret talents? 

Mariano: My hobby would be playing video games and playing baseball.

I found his favorite movies really interesting because I had never heard of IP Man. I did a little research and found out that they were martial arts movies based on a real Martial Arts Master. I made a mental note to watch them whenever I got the chance since I also hold an affinity for martial arts. 

Next, I decided to start asking more specific yet vague questions, not quite yet personal. I wanted to make him comfortable and build some rapport with him. These were more 

open-ended, philosophical questions that would allow me to get a deeper sense of who he is and what he values. :

If you could create a planet, what would it be called and why?

Mariano: If I could create a plant, I would name it Apollo. This is because in Greek mythology, he is known as the god of prophecy, medicine, music, art, law, beauty, and wisdom. Later he also became the god of the sun and light. I want my planet to be one of the safest, yet strong, planets to be known.

Who is your favorite historical figure and why?

Mariano: My favorite historical figure would be FDR because of how much he did to make America a powerhouse during awful times such as the Great Depression which led to the creation of the New Deal. 

I found his answer to the first question intriguing. I found it his knowledge of Greek Mythology impress and realized I had a common interest with him. Plus, his duality in both historical and mythological knowledge was fascinating. 

At this point in the interview, I found it appropriate to ask slightly more personal questions but nothing that would make him uncomfortable. :
What is your major and how does that relate to your future career? 

Mariano: I am thinking about my major to be Sociology. This is because I want to help and support the youth into having a great future

Was the City College your first choice school/ why did you decide to come? 

Mariano: The City College was my first choice because the school is about 30 min away from where I live and it would cost less to attend this particular college since it’s not so far away. I also chose this school because it is a very diverse campus.

I was honestly surprised that he said he wanted to major in sociology. Not many people that I know have wanted to major in sociology. However, the one sociology class that I took was one of my favorite classes so far. I also really admired him for wanting to major in something to be qualified to help younger kids. 

After a few more “lighter” questions, I decided to dive in and ask the question which were the most anticipated. :

What are you passionate about?

Mariano: Something I am passionate about is helping the youth in my community so they can have a better and more successful future.

When you were a little kid, what did you dream of being when you grew up? Is it still the same?

Mariano: When I was a kid, I dreamt about being a cop. It is not the same because as I got older, I realized all the risks that come with being a police officer.

Would you say that you are optimistic about the future, in terms of society?

Mariano: As of now, I am not optimistic about the future mostly because of all the crazy things that are currently happening and I can only imagine the negative impacts of current events would have on the future.

If you could solve one major problem in the world, what would it be? 

Mariano: If I could solve a major problem in the world, I would solve homelessness because I believe that no person should be living and suffering in the streets trying to survive.

Who is your role model? Why?

Mariano: My role model would have to be J Cole. This is because J Cole is a hip-hop artist that involves himself with today’s events and movements instead of just going onto social media and making a post “expressing his support.”. He tries to help his community through physical means.

What has been your greatest accomplishment, so far?

Mariano: My greatest accomplishment would have to be graduating high school because going into high school, I used to always think I’m not good enough to get past high school, but I then realized how hard my parents have worked their entire lives to get me into a good school and be able to provide for me and my 2 siblings. I was also inspired by a quote that read “Your Lack Of Dedication Is An Insult To Those Who Believe In You.”

At the end of the interview, I felt that I had gotten to know Mariano in the way his friends know him. I felt that he contributed many different aspects of himself that not many got a chance to see. I believe I accomplished my goal to reveal the real Mariano to the world.